The following information is the appeal process for individuals or businesses who believe their City of Wilmington noise citation was wrongly issued.
You have a right to appeal your noise citation within ten (10) calendar days of the issue date on your citation. All appeals must be submitted in writing to the Chief of Police.
You may submit your appeal form in person, by U.S. mail, or electronically via the City website (if mailing, it must be postmarked by the tenth (10th) calendar day following the date on the citation). Completely answer the questions below before submitting to the Office of the Chief.
Things to Know Before You Appeal:
• All information must be included on the appeal form below or attached to the appeal form at the time it is submitted.
• Retain a copy of the documents you submit. Original documents will not be returned.
• Incomplete information or failure to submit the appeal form and supporting documentation within ten (10) calendar days of the date on the citation will forfeit your right to appeal.
• The Chief of Police will issue his determination within ten (10) business days of receipt of the written appeal.
The Following are Not Valid Reasons for Appeal:
• Lack of knowledge of the City of Wilmington Noise Ordinance.
• Failure to obtain a permit when you should have reasonably known your activity would violate the noise ordinance.
• Performing an activity for which you obtained a permit, but exceeding your sound limits or time limits.