The DCI (Division of Criminal Information) is comprised of six (6) Police DCI Clerks. This unit operates 24-hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year.
The main responsibilities of the DCI unit include:
- Provide enhanced DCI/NCIC support to law enforcement nationwide on behalf of the Wilmington Police Department.
- Monitor and manage the DCI/NCIC computer record databases including wanted persons, missing persons, stolen property, Amber/Silver alerts, criminal histories, and other law enforcement sensitive data.
- Entering lost and stolen property into the NCIC database (National Crime Information Center).
- Entering missing and wanted persons into the NCIC database.
- Assist officers and detectives with the service of warrants, summons, and other orders for arrest through NCAWARE.
- Act as a point-of-contact/liaison for the court system and other law enforcement agencies nationwide.
- Perform report writing and police records management to aid police investigations.
- Conduct criminal background checks for investigative purposes.
- Send and receive administrative messages and other correspondence to and from other law enforcement agencies.