The recycling schedule map displays the general areas where recycling is collected from City of Wilmington Recycling & Trash Services customers. Recycling is collected every other week on the customer’s established trash collection day. Download the City's Recycling & Trash Services recycling collection calendar or request through customer service. Recycling through the city’s services are only available to City of Wilmington Recycling & Trash Services customers. Typically, multi-family, institutional and commercial entities as well as single-family residences on private streets contract with private haulers for both trash and recycling service. If you have any questions, please call City of Wilmington Recycling & Trash Services customer service at 910.341.7875.
What can I recycle?
- Aluminum cans
- Glass bottles and jars
- Tin and steel cans
- Newspaper, including all inserts
- Mixed plastic containers identified with #1 - #2 on the container's bottom
- Rigid plastic (Ex. laundry baskets and plastic tubs)
- Mixed paper, including magazines and junk mail
- Catalogs (under 2 inches thick)
- Cardboard boxes(flatten first)
- Cereal and food boxes
- Gabled drink containers, juice boxes, carton drinks
- File folders and computer paper
- Metal pots and pans without plastic handles
- Electronics Recycling
- Fluorescent Light Recycling
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Prescription Medicine
- Plastic Bags and Film
The City’s recycling program is a voluntary curbside collection program.
- Recycling is provided as part of your trash collection, at no additional charge. To sign up, call 910.341.7875.
- Recycling is collected is on the same day as trash pick up, but on a bi-weekly collection schedule.
- Place your recycling bin in the right-of-way by 7:00 a.m. and remove it as soon as possible once it is emptied.
- Do not put anything in your recycling bin that is not recyclable.
- Do not put plastic bags in the recycling bin.
- Extra recycling that will not fit inside the bin can be put in white or clear bags, a personal container, or a cardboard box. Extra recycling does not require extra trash stickers.
- Rinse out the items before placing them in your recycling bin.
- Lids and caps are acceptable recycling items.
- Please flatten any cardboard boxes.
Residents who are not city trash customers may use the recycling drop-off centers located throughout the county. For location information, visit the New Hanover County Department of Environmental Management web page or call 910.798.4400.
Recycling Items Video