To report a drainage, maintenance, or flooding issue, call 910.341.4646
In Wilmington, stormwater runoff is channeled through a complex system of storm drains, pipes, ditches, ponds, culverts, creeks and wetlands which flow straight into our waterways. Stormwater Services field crews perform maintenance of the storm drainage system within the public right-of-way or in accepted easements.
Stormwater Services maintains the stormwater drainage system including:
- 18,508 catch basins and manholes
- 312 miles of pipe/culverts
- 218 miles of open drainage (ditches, channels)
- 46 acres of retention ponds (Randall Pond, Silver Stream Pond, etc)
- 131 acres of Stormwater Control Measures (SCMs) including Kerr Avenue Wetland, Park Avenue Bioretention, Wade Wetland, Dock Street Rain Gardens, etc.
For fiscal year 18/19:
- 315 loads of street sweeping debris collected
- 7,949 miles of streets swept
- 362 bi-annual inspections of private retention ponds
- 33 miles of ditches cleaned manually
Maintenance Field Crews
Street Sweeping Crew
Sweep curbed City streets and North Carolina DOT streets, public parking lots, and when required, non-curbed streets. Private streets are the responsibility of the Homeowner's Association or Developer. This crew also inspects and removes blockages from the stormwater drainage system.
SCM Maintenance Crew
Maintain 70+ stormwater SCMs (Stormwater Control Measures) including constructed wetlands, bioretention areas, rain gardens, infiltration swales, retention ponds, and streambank stabilization.
Open Drainage Crew
Perform routine mowing, ditch cleaning and erosion control activities of drainage ditches, creeks, lakes and ponds, as well as sediment removal and control of nuisance aquatic weed growth.
Closed Drainage Crew
Perform inspection, maintenance, repair and construction of underground pipes, manholes, catch basins, junction boxes and headwalls, as well as deep excavations requiring the use of trench boxes. Crews inspect stormwater pipes using cameras and perform internal pipe repairs using confined space entry protocols.