Household Trash Collection
The Solid Waste Division provides weekly curbside trash pick up for residential and commercial city trash customers within the City limits. The division is funded by monthly fees charged by the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority to solid waste customers based on their chosen level of service.
Trash and recycling services within the Downtown Central Business District (CBD) are provided by the city's "Bag It" program.
Sign up for Service
Contact: Cape Fear Public Utility Authority 910.332.6550, 235 Government Center Drive Wilmington, NC 28403 or visit www.cfpua.org.
Included in your Service /Rates
City service includes roll out trash container/cart, recycling cart, yard waste and bulky collection. Trash and yard waste are collected weekly and recycling is collected bi-weekly. Large (bulky) items are collected upon request by calling the Solid Waste Office at 910.341.7875. A choice of two trash cart sizes is available, a 95-gallon and a 35-gallon cart. By maximizing the amount you recycle, your household may only require a small cart.
As of July 1, 2014, the fee for the regular sized (maxi) cart is $26.29 per month and the mini cart fee is $21.36 per month. The monthly rates include weekly trash and yard waste collections, bi-weekly recycling, as well as bulky item collection upon request. Extra bagged trash that does not fit in your cart requires the purchase of orange extra trash stickers.
The Solid Waste Office does not collect items on 4th of July, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day or New Years Day. Holiday pickup schedules will be announced prior to the date. The administrative office is closed on all City Holidays.
All household trash, recycling, yard waste, and scheduled bulky pick-up must be at the curb by 7:30 am on your weekly pickup day. Trash may be set out the night before. Please make sure trash does not blow away, block traffic, or storm drains. All containers must be removed from the city right of way by the end of that day. Trash and containers are only allowed to be at the curb on your weekly pick up day.
Household Trash Preparation
Household trash must be bagged and in your city rollout cart/container. Please double bag extra smelly trash such as diapers, cat litter, etc to prevent leakage. Please do not overfill your container, the lid should close. Bagged trash not in the container will not be picked up without orange extra trash stickers.
Extra trash bags
Household trash bags that will not fit in your container/cart must have orange extra trash stickers attached for collection. Call the Solid Waste Management Office at 910.341.7875 to purchase stickers, which will be mailed to you and charged to your utility account. A minimum of 12 stickers at $1.25 each must be purchased at one time. Stickers may also be purchased and picked up from the Collections Office located at 305 Chestnut Street. Solid Waste Management recommends keeping extra stickers on hand for that unexpected heavy trash week.
The City Service will NOT collect:
- Liquids or Sharp items, which are dangerous for city crews
- Dirt, rocks, concrete or commercial demolition materials
- Hot ashes
- Paint liquids (paint cans must be dried out completely or taken to NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
- Hazardous Materials (Please deposit at the NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
- Chemicals or pesticides (Please deposit at the NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
- Medical waste - New Hanover County manages two drop-off locations to take prescription drugs to year-round, no questions asked. There is a locked metal container with a drop slot in the first floor lobbies of the County Jail (3950 Juvenile Center Road, Castle Hayne) or the Historic Courthouse (24 N. 3rd Street, Wilmington). Also, New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) conducts twice-yearly collection events in the spring & fall. For more information, contact Kathy Rawlings at 910.815.5152 or email@example.com
- Tires (Residents may take 5 tires to the New Hanover County landfill to dispose of at no charge)
- Computers, monitors and TVs are collected by appointment from city customers: All electronics can be deposited at the NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility
- Items too large or heavy for collection trucks
Many of the above items are available for disposal with New Hanover County.
Bulky items, such as appliances and furniture, are collected at no additional charge as part of your regular trash service by appointment only. Call the Office of Solid Waste Management at 910.341.7875 to schedule an appointment. Items should be placed in the right of way only after an appointment is made.
Bulky items, metal bulky items, and yard waste must be placed neatly in separate piles on the right-of-way for pick up. Three different trucks service these items.
For the safety of our work crews, please bend or remove nails from lumber.
Household waste that will not fit in a full trash cart is NOT a bulky item. These extra items must be placed in a bag or box and have an extra trash sticker attached before they will be collected. To purchase extra trash stickers, call the Office of Solid Waste Management at 910.341.7875. Or go to the City's office at 305 Chestnut St to purchase stickers in person.
- The City does not collect tires. Customers may deliver up to 5 tires per day to the New Hanover County landfill for disposal at no charge.
- The City's solid waste crews collect TVs and computer/monitors from customers by appointment. Residents may also take electronics to the NHC Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 3002 Hwy 421 North between 10:00am and 2:00pm Monday through Friday and 8:00am-noon on Saturday. There is no cost to county residents. Visit the NHC Household Hazardous Waste website for details.
- For a full list of materials accepted at the NHC Household Hazardous Waste facility, please click here to visit the NHC website.
Note: Demolition materials from contracted work should not be put out for City collection. Removal of these materials is the responsibility of the contractor. Call the New Hanover County Landfill 910.798.4450 for questions on disposal options.
Do you have construction materials, furniture, housewares or toys that are still in good condition? Please consider donating to Habitat for Humanity's ReStore located at 1203 S. 3rd Street or 7330 Market Street;910.686.9800
Bicycles that are still in good condition can be refurbished for charitable redistribution by contacting the Two-Wheeler Dealer at 4408 Wrightsville Avenue; 910.799.6444.
Yard waste is collected once a week on the same day as your trash collection at no additional charge. The following are requirements for yard waste collection:
- Limbs must be no more than 4 feet in length and 6 inches in diameter.
- City trash customers can set out up to 7 cubic yards of yard waste in the right-of-way for collection. This is equal to a pile approximately 5-feet wide, 11-feet long and 3½-feet high – about the same size as 8 large size garbage or recycling carts.
- All loose yard waste (grass clippings, pine straw, vines, pine cones and leaves) must be containerized. A container may be a yard debris bag, a box, or a personal 35-gallon container. Do not use wheelbarrows, tarps, or the city-provided trash cart or recycling cart.
- Please do not mix non-organic items (roofing tiles, scrap lumber, rocks, etc.) with your yard waste.
- Yard waste is collected on the same day as regular trash. Have your items in the right-of-way for collection no later than 7:30 a.m. on the day of collection.
- Yard waste should NEVER be placed in the street. It must be placed only in the right-of-way for collection and cannot block water meters, storm drains or obstruct the view of motorists.
- Large piles of debris will be flagged and put on a waiting list for pickup.
- Contracted work performed by tree service companies or independent contractors will not be collected by city crews; it is the responsibility of the contractor to remove and properly dispose of debris.
- Violations of Solid Waste Codes are subject to a $50.00 per day civil fine.
Please be patient with us in times when storms generate large volumes of debris. More yard waste information can be viewed by clicking here.