Report Stormwater Pollution

If you have information about pollution being spilled, dumped or discharged into the stormwater drainage system, which includes storm drains, ditches, swales, creeks, lakes, ponds, streets, or directly into a waterway, please:

Call the Stormwater Pollution Hotline 910.341.1020 or Report Online


When contacting us, leave as much information as possible:Stormwater Pollution Example

  • Date of Incident
  • Time of Incident
  • Location*
  • Source & Type of Pollution (if known)
  • Responsible Party (if known)
  • Your Contact Info**

* We cannot respond to reports for violations that occur outside the City limits.
** It is helpful to have your contact information in case we need to get more information or follow up with you about the report.

Examples of what you can report:

  • Foam, bubbles, or a milky appearance in a ditch or waterway
  • A strange odor coming from a storm drain
  • Spilled or dumped auto fluids (motor oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, etc) or chemicals (paint, cleaners, etc) on the street or into a storm drain
  • Wastewater piped to a creek or ditch (i.e. from a washing machine, floor drain)
  • Washing equipment outdoors using chemicals
  • Sediment flowing off a construction site
  • Sewage spills should be reported immediately to the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority hotline - 910.332.6565
  • * We cannot enforce pet waste complaints that occur on private property

You can also report the following activities to the State of NC:

  • Littering: Use the Swat-A-Litterbug Form to report someone littering from a vehicle. (Your report is anonymous to the offender).
  • Construction Site Erosion: Call 1.866.STOPMUD to report violations to the State's Sediment & Erosion Control laws at construction sites.
Thank you for helping to protect Wilmington's waterways!

For inquiries about outreach, education and public involvement, please call 910.343.4777.